The all-leather, NFL-regulation football, inscribed -- 1963 Chicago Bears

Sunday, October 2, 2011

BJ AND ME

BJ, an old buddy, came to my hotel room to join me in sipping at least one adult beverage.

I was glad this room belonged to the hotel and I was just using it for a couple of nights because the room was not user friendly.

[Excuse me when I go on a tangential tear. Doesn't it bug you
when things that really only have one purpose for existence
don't fulfill that purpose? I remember years ago buying a pair
of waxed shoe laces. The wax coating made the laces look great,
the only thing those great looking laces didn't do, because of
that very waxed coating, was stay tied. Laces that don't stay
tied, uncomfortable hotel rooms--interesting times in which we
live.]

Back to my particular guest-adverse hotel room: The only chair in the room wasn't near the only light, and the couch wasn't convenient for watching the TV. But it was the hotel's room, and they did seem to like it this way, so I put up with it.

BJ didn't.

He walked into the room, wet down his ice cubes, sat in the chair and without equivocation or hesitation said, "This is no good." He got up and moved the chair to the other side of the room, unplugged the lamp, set it next to the chair creating a nice, cozy reading area. Next he rearranged the top of the dresser altering the position of the TV to directly face the couch. I now had an acceptable room. My quality of life had, in some small way, improved. (No thanks to me.)

What was the difference between BJ's approach and mine? BJ assessed current reality, saw the options, had a vision of a more desirable future and took action. I, on the other hand, thought the way they set up the room was not fun but what can you do, that's life. After BJ's visit they won't have me to kick around anymore.


Lesson: Don't take things the way they are, take things the way you want them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment