The all-leather, NFL-regulation football, inscribed -- 1963 Chicago Bears

Sunday, December 30, 2012

WHO HAS WHO?



"Bullfeathers"

That's the paraphrased response from a women in the audience when the subject of releasing our perverted death grip on company benefits was discussed.

"I've worked too hard to let go of my benefits," she continued with great passion. She had a point, but I worry for many folks. People I knew in business who use to talk about the projects they were working on or the brain-dead boss they were working for now start off their conversations with: "I only have 4 years, 3 months, 2 weeks and 5 days until retirement."

It's important to remember: everything you do has a price. What price is being paid for your benefits, and who is paying that price? If you're aware of the price and are willing to pay it, that's fine. If you put up with a job that drains your passion and diminishes your spirit so that you can get your teeth cleaned free twice a year, so be it.

When I left the company I was with for 17 years, I marched out proudly (albeit naively) with no medical, no dental and a vested pension. (When I took the pension at 65 it just about covered the cost of Metamucil.) When I started by own company I had a pension plan, and health insurance. How did I get it? I did it the old fashioned way, I paid through the nose for it. But, I did a job I loved and lived in the part of the country I love.

Lesson: Company benefits are something you have; they shouldn't have you.

1 comment:

  1. Liked your article .

    The reality for an average person like me however ...........
    By average I mean "intelligence" and no great marketable "talents", the benefits made my life comfortable.
    Children's births ,dental, surgeries and yes the pension.
    But fortunately I enjoyed my position (until the last few years)
    "Sales sure beat working." ( a quote from the perennial top salesman in Chicago when I started. I made it my mantra.
    I was under no particular boss except my customers. They were varied and mostly easy to please.
    Just randoms thoughts on a cold day ,while I tend the two fireplaces.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete