The all-leather, NFL-regulation football, inscribed -- 1963 Chicago Bears

Thursday, February 2, 2012

MINDLESS MOMENTS

The following testimonial for a brand of fly traps appeared in a Horse and Livestock equipment catalog:

"I bought two of your Fly Traps. I thought it was a good deal. I counted 2,972 flies in one trap. I would recommend them," Darrell Haywood, OK

I would ask you, if you have never tried number-crunching insects, to suspend judgement about the way Darrell chooses to use his time. Maybe in Haywood, OK dead-fly counting is considered a good job!

Darrell seems like the kind of guy whose hand I'd like to shake (after he washed it). He seems like the kind of guy that doesn't care what others think about what he does with his waking moments. He seems like the kind of guy who would admit to a magazine, (that has circulation outside of Haywood, OK.) that he physically tore apart at least one old fly trap and handled a minimum of 2,792 dead and decaying flies.

What Darrell-like thing do you do? I have a hobby collecting something I can't even name. For the last twenty years I've collected those little plastic fasteners that attach tags to new clothes. (This collecting is something I do while not actively engaged in obliterating ignorance from the face of the earth.)

Life is tough; it's full of good things you need to work at appreciating, and bad things you need to work at overcoming. With all that work going on, consider carving out those special little brainless moments dedicated to the likes of collecting plastic fasteners and counting dead flies.



Lesson: Not everything you do has to make any sense to anybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment